Simon Group Pension Fund (PO-24361)
Barnett Waddingham LLP
The complaint is partly upheld for the following reasons:-
· The Trustee took into account irrelevant factors when it decided to decline Mr Y’s transfer request and did not explain the reasons for its refusal in a clear and consistent manner.
· It inappropriately asked Mr Y to cover the costs of further due diligence, even though it did not believe further due diligence would likely address whether the receiving scheme would qualify as a QROPS.
· BW caused delays when reviewing the information submitted for Mr Y’s transfer request.
· Certain aspects of the service Mr Y received from BW and the Trustee were unacceptable.
As a result, the Trustee shall provide redress to Mr Y in accordance with the Directions set out in paragraphs 95 to 99 below.
Mr Y has complained about the following:
· the delays caused by BW and the Trustee when reviewing his transfer request, which included ‘excessive’ and ‘erroneous’ questions for due diligence;
· the Trustee’s decision to decline his transfer request to an overseas pension scheme, on the basis that it could not be satisfied that the receiving scheme was a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS);
· the Trustee’s offer to continue with further due diligence only if he covered the costs this incurred;
· how BW would not provide a forecast of his benefits, thereby forcing him to transfer out of the Fund; and
· the level of service he received from BW and the Trustee relating to his information requests, and the responses he received.
- Asphalt Reinforcement Services Pension Scheme (PO-21743)Complainant: Mr ERespondent: PIM Trustees LimitedOutcome: Partly upheldComplaint Topic: Transfers: generalRef: PO-21743Date:
- The Old British Steel Pension Scheme (PO-20401)Complainant: Mr NRespondent: B. S. Pension Fund Trustee LimitedOutcome: Not upheldComplaint Topic: Transfers: generalRef: PO-20401Date: